Monday, May 30, 2011

Prince of children's tales

I've been meaning to share one of my favourite children's authors- British author Michael Morpurgo- for a while now. I discovered his wonderful books when I was teaching in the UK- I was really surprised to learn how many books he had written and that, as an avid reader growing up, I had never came across any of his books before. When I came back from the UK to NZ I read about seven of his books to one of my classes (aged 8 and 9) and they absolutely loved them. One of the best things about his books is that the stories really appeal to boys as well as girls so they are great books to switch boys onto a love of reading.  I remember they used to beg me to read more when I had finished a chapter or two which was really neat. "Kensuke's Kingdom" was the first book of his I read and it is still my favourite-I even got my hubby to read it as it is a really great story. So if your child is just getting into reading 'chapter books' then try searching out a few Michael Morpurgo books-he's written over a hundred books so there's plenty to choose from! (Can you tell I'm a big fan!)
And you can click here to listen to Kim Hill's interview with Michael Morpurgo last weekend on RadioNZ National 
And just had to share this sunset pic I took yesterday evening at a local park - Amelie loves to talk about the children on the other side of the world waking up as our sun goes down :)
Would love to hear of any of your favourite Michael Morpurgo books or any other favourite children's novels/authors...
Megan x

7 comments:

WinnibriggsHouse said...

Well I have to say I have never heard his name til now, but as the grandmum to one and soon to be 2 little boys , the first of whom loves books I will certainly check him out. A bit old for mine at the moment (He is almost 5) but something to think about in a year or two. Thanks for sharing.

meg said...

Oh great thanks. Always looking for new authors for my prolific chapter book reader. He's still quite young and although he could read Harry Potter I think he's a bit too sensitive (lots of scary bits).

Lou@weheartbooks said...

The Butterfly Lion is my favourite Morpurgo book. I read it about 15 years ago and I can still remember the feelings it gave me. I have a hardcover copy on the bookshelf for when my children are a bit older. Have you seen the clips on Youtube for the stage production of Morpurgo's book War Horse? They are incredible.

Dee said...

Sounds great! I adore children's books so will have to check him out! :)

Jo said...

Seems we have lots in common! He is a wonderful writer. I took a group of kids to meet him in Wellington a couple of years ago, think I was the only adult lining up to have my book signed by him - worth it! What a gem of a man! He signed my copy of Alone on a Wide Wide Sea, moving, amazing book. Also, have you read Singing for Mrs Pettigrew? A delicious book of short stories. And a lovely book for not so keen readers, Best Mate. He just has such a way with words.

Sarah said...

I have found so much creative inspitation in your blog, which was exactly what I was looking for, but I have also really enjoyed following your de-cluttering projects and getting involved by doing my own place. I always enjoy seeing what you are working on at present and you have reminded me to slow down and take my time with my projects instead of presuring myself to get things done in 1 day. So thankyou for that and for your lovely blog.

And that's why you are 1 of my 5 nominess for the Kreative Blogger Award. Check it out here http://chubbybuddys.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-been-nominated-for-this-awesome.html

Little Nell said...

As a retired UK Headteacher I am familiar with Michael Morpurgo. Children just love his books. He also presented a series on BBC Radio 4 called ‘The Invention of Childhood’, a thousand years of British Childhood. I have the acompanying book, an absolutely wonderful social history, with ‘the voices of children’. Highly recommended.

Related Posts with Thumbnails